Throughout the many years of its existence, gambling earned one of the most prominent places in the recreational life of society. And with the advent of online casinos, the industry began to grow by leaps and bounds. As a result of its extensive outreach, online gambling embraced millions of players across the globe and thus turned into a flourishing multi-billion industry. The 21st century is marked by the evolution of online technologies, and in the same breath, so does online gambling continue to grow strong.
Touching on the earliest history of gambling
With regard to the ancient history of gambling and some of the earliest incidences of games of chance, it is worth mentioning that it was the region of Mesopotamia where archeologists uncovered 6-sided dice that were dated back to 3 000 BC. What is more, these dice were based on astragali that had existed for thousands of years before 3 000 BC, suggesting that people gambled virtually since the dawn of time.
Further to this, Venice is the city where the Ridotto, the first brick and mortar casino, sprang into existence in 1638.
If you ever wondered about the origin of online gambling, the following section of this article is intended to enlighten you on where, when and how people started to experience the excitement of adrenaline rush right from the comfort of their homes.
How the ball got rolling on Online Gambling Games
It all began on the grounds of the sunny Caribbean islands in 1994 when Antigua and Barbuda came up with the Free Trade and Processing Act. Consequently, the act enabled businesses to apply for online casino licenses. This is how the company, Microgaming, made its debut at that time on the newly-fledged online gambling market with its casino called the Gaming Club. It is claimed to be the first online casino equipped with real money betting opportunities.
Further to this, InterCasino – the child of the CryptoLogic company, is another casino created in the same year and, without a doubt, is one of the pioneers in the realm of online gambling. According to some sources, it was the first to be granted the license.
Although it is hard to say exactly which company (Microgaming or CryptoLogic) was the first to step foot into the market, they both marked the dawn of the new era in the gambling history and thus turned the concept of a game of chance on its head.
Unsurprisingly, the online games in the mid-90s were a far cry from what we play now and looked much like casino games from ancient times. For that era, however, it was a major breakthrough.
In addition, both companies continue their operation up to this date. Now, Microgaming is one of the most renowned online gaming software casinos that does not stop cornering the market over multiple years of its existence.
Significant dates on the history of online gambling
- 1995 – Microgaming came out with the conventional card and table gambling games like blackjack, craps, and video poker.
- 1997 stands out as a year when the number of online casinos grew exponentially. For the comparison sake, in 1996 the figure for online gambling platforms stood at 15, while in the next year it surged to over 200.
- 1998 saw the introduction of an online multiplayer experience.
- by the year 2002, the gambling industry generates a jaw-dropping 4.5 billion dollars
- 2011 – as the world community becomes obsessed with iPhones and similar devices, software producers start tapping into the opportunities of mobile gambling.
- 2014 – Bitcoin is included as a payment method throughout most progressive online casinos.
- 2015 – Microgaming’s slot gambling game, Mega Moolah, produced a 13,2 million dollar winner (world record in the history of slot machine gambling).
- 2018 – the online gambling market turned into a 56 billion dollar industry.
So what to expect next? Virtual gambling reality achieved by highly sophisticated software all over top online casinos? This is what they say is ahead of those who love to gamble!
We are tingling with anticipation to see the future evolution of the gambling industry and you can rest assured that we will be the first to write about anything new in gambling history.